High energy power bar recipeDecember 2, 2011 • Posted by Rene in Featured, Home Bakery • • 2 comments
Homemade flapjack power bars have to be the best and easiest energy bars you can make, you can pack them with anything you want, fruit, chocolate, nuts with the main ingredient oats.
Energy flapjack also has the added benefit from being 100% gluten free
Oats are amazing energy providers they also help lower blood cholesterol, great source of natural fibre which assist the body with digestion. Recent studies have shown that oats can help with weight control.
Ideal for pre match or eat two of these bars 2 hours before the main sports event and you’ll be packed with full energy. Oats have a slow energy release which helps with football matches, long distance run’s or triathlons.
Recipe is simple
- 200 g muesli
- 300 g oats
- 150g dried fruit
- 50g nuts or almonds
- 300 ml condensed milk
- 100g sugar
- place milk and sugar in sauce pan on medium high heat, cook for 15 minutes until caramel is formed
- Whilst making caramel mix oat and fruit, muesli and nuts together
- pour caramel over the oats and mix with spoon
- Once mixed pour into large tray, press in cold area for 2 hours,using cling film and something heavy on top to make its shape.
- You can keep the flapjacks for 2-3 weeks, I always make a big batch in the week and use them over time when required.